KDE/kdevelop/languages/cpp

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jun 28 16:46:50 UTC 2007

On 28.06.07 17:26:52, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Von: Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>
> > On 28.06.07 14:49:03, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > > I don't know what you want to achieve. All the commercial IDEs (MSVC,
> > > XCode, Keil, ...) where you can setup the build with a GUI are *by
> > > far* not as powerful as what you can do with autotools/cmake/scons. I
> > > don't see the point in trying to put all this power into a GUI.
> > > If you get this working, this would be great, but I just can't image
> > > how this should work.
> >
> > I don't see where either of use two said we will provide a GUI for
> > everything that CMake can do. I do think Matt will provide a GUI for
> > some simple setups (a small project that just adds its sources to a
> > executable target) and some convenience things for KDE4 apps (maybe a
> > way to add plugins, libraries, desktop files, find kde4, ....).
>
> Ok, this sounds reasonable. But then why does it need to parse the cmake files ? I'd really like to understand what the goal is.
> Matt said he wants to get the include directories this way, which sounds very different.

The include-dirs, the targets, possibly the libs, the files. No idea
what else Matt has on his mind. And this does need a parser, else you'd
have to re-run cmake on each and every change which takes quite some
time on something like kdelibs. The parser is faster here, because it
doesn't generate anything on disk. As I said, Matt already tried once
with a CMake generator that produced XML, but he said that didn't
provide enough functionality.

> The first thing (simple setups) could be done with an "internal" project

What do you mean with that? Its not just project creation, but also
changing the project (adding/removing files, dirs...)

> and wouldn't for the second just a wizard-like thingy which creates the cmake code and asks you where to put it be enough ?

No, because then the user really has a plain text file for the
CMakeLists.txt. But IIRC Matt wants to provide some more help to the
user (think target_link_libraries( <ctrl+space> -> list of libs in
project). That stuff needs information from the buildsystem.

Excellent day to have a rotten day.