KDE/kdevelop/languages/cpp

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Jun 27 03:00:48 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 21:21, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 June 2007 04:20, David Nolden wrote:
> > Also there currently is no build-system that returns include-paths.
> > Another question is how to reliably parse make-files to get the
> > include-paths, in many cases that might not be possible, for example with
> > cmake-generated makefiles.

This is invalid. If somebody needs some information from cmake, this can be
added to the generators in cmake, where you can export the data you want in
the format you want and you can have it tested every night, then breakages
will be fixed by the developers within in few days.

> CMake used to do it before we started on this third round of cmake support
> and it will do it again soon. Anyways, you won't be parsing CMake generated
> Makefiles, you'll be parsing the CMakeLists.txt files themselves and get
> the include paths that way.

I didn't follow closely.
How is this currently implemented/planned ?

E.g. if you have
find_path(SOME_DIR foo.h PATHS /opt/foo )
include_directories(${SOME_DIR})

Another option is e.g.
execute_process(foo-config OUTPUT result)
... some regexp stuff...
include_directories(${RESULT_OF_REGEXPS})

CMake is no standardized language, so it can be extendend and new stuff can be
added.

How is all this handled ?

Alex