KDE/kdevelop/languages/cpp

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Tue Jun 26 11:55:15 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 11:59:32 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 26.06.07 11:20:18, David Nolden wrote:
> I don't see how the include-path-resolver can help here. IIRC it was
> here, though not sure, that somebody posted a way to ask gcc for its
> standard include dirs. That can be done when editing files outside any
> project. After all thats all the paths you can find out about, without
> having the user give you some more paths.
>
> Unless of course the include-path-resolver does more than just finding
> the include-paths for a given dir.

That command only finds global standard include dirs
like /usr/include, /usr/include/c++/4.0.1 etc., but not include-dirs defined
by the build-system, like for example the qt include-directory.

KDevelop-4's code-completion will highly depend on having all include-files
parsed, so only parsing those in global include-dirs would result in useless
code-completion.

The include-path resolver finds, when successful, all include-paths defined by
the underlying build-system.

> > Also there currently is no build-system that returns include-paths.
> > Another question is how to reliably parse make-files to get the
> > include-paths, in many cases that might not be possible, for example with
> > cmake-generated makefiles.
>
> Whats the problem with cmake-generated Makefile's? Yes, its not
> dead-easy to parse these as you have to "follow" forwards and such, but
> I don't think thats impossible to parse cmake-generated makefiles.
>
> Andreas

Why not discuss this once there is an alternative? Currently there is none.. I
cannot test code-completion in realistic environments without correct
include-paths.

greetings, David