Small (un-representative) benchmark on sqlite with blobs

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Jun 25 10:43:22 UTC 2007

On 25.06.07 10:49:37, Roberto Raggi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Il giorno 25/giu/07, alle ore 02:40, Andreas Pakulat ha scritto:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > David, Kris and myself had a (short) discussion about how to persist
> > duchain data. Especially with multi-projects in mind we might get
> > quite
> > some data.
>
> My problem with SQL is its textual representation. In general the
> engines are pretty fasts, but unfortunately you have to parse and
> generate SQL statements for every single operation. Think about the
> result SQL statement when you ask for all the symbols in the global
> namespace ;-) That takes quite a bit of resources, especially in a
> real time environment.

Nobody said we're going to store the data in a relational schema. David
mentioned something like 2 Map-like tables. So the SQL-statements are
surely no problem. The real data will be stored as Blob, which is the
whole reason I did this experiment.

> KDevelop is not a compiler, you don't need to
> store a lot of information in its persistent storage. I think you can
> use an approach similar to the per project PCS file I did for
> KDevelop 3. The project's PCS file is a dump of the Code Model,

a) there's no code-model
b) AFAIK, the duchain is global for all projects, to allow to lookup
symbols from other projects and save space and time when projects use
common headers (like a handful of Qt projects). (Kris or David know this
exactly)

You may get an opportunity for advancement today.  Watch it!