History Navigation Proposal by Alexander

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Jun 12 09:08:48 UTC 2007

On 12.06.07 09:29:07, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> On Sunday, 10. June 2007, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > On Jun 10, 2007, at 9:23 AM, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> +1
>
> What I find important is that
> 1. Files are shown in the order of prev/next switching, everywhere.
> 2. In the file listing, files in different views are separated, not mixed up.
>
> How about taking a categorized list view like the one in Amarok's collection

Or use KListView from kdeui which already provides categorizing - AFAIK.

> sidebar ("A", "B", "C", ...), categorizing the files per view
> ("Left", "Right") and having a mixed v1/v2 mode:

That doesn't scale, how do you categorize this view-layout (I can come
up with more complex ones for sure):

---------------------------------------
|            |            |           |
|            |            |           |
|            |            |           |
|            |            |           |
|            |            |           |
--------------------------|           |
|                         |           |
|                         |           |
|                         |           |
|                         |           |

If we really want to categorize I think we need to give the views names
or numbers to properlz identify them.

> v1 as long as there is a next (on Forward) or previous (on Back) file in the
> same view, and v2 (view/focus switch) when you have Next on the last item of
> a view.

Didn't you want it to be easy. This is rather complex to understand
IMHO. At least without reading some good documentation about this, and
you know how good we are at user-documentation ;)

You will be surprised by a loud noise.