Porting CTags plugin

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Mon Jun 11 04:22:21 UTC 2007

On Monday 11 June 2007 04:22:30 dukju ahn wrote:
> Idealy, but language support can't be perfect, while CTags is perfect.
> Think about the KDev3 language supports. The CTags can lookup
> even macros or variable definitions, while language support can't.

c++-support in kdevelop-3.4.1 can lookup macros as well as
variable-definitions, even such that ctags cannot lookup because it only
processes a specific directory. Also ctags cannot respect the context, so I
don't see why ctags should be superior in any way to language support.

Of course kdevelop-3.4's c++ support is limited, but I don't see where ctags
should be superior, and kdevelop-4's c++ support will probably be a lot
better.

> I useually use jump to XXX or QuickOpen part, but there is some case
> where only Ctags is really helpful.

Then we should analyze that case and see how we can solve it with our own
system. :-)

> Currently, we don't have any promise that each language support
> would be that perfect.

Ok, for other languages than C++ I can see that it could become useful..

greetings, David