project tree watcher interface plan

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Jun 5 14:42:22 UTC 2007

On 05.06.07 08:14:03, Matt Rogers wrote:

> > > Why does each build manager need its own file system watcher?
> >
> > Because when filesystem are changed, appropriate actions should
> > be taken by project manager again. For ex, if new directory which
> > contains Makefile is copied, the manager should parse() it again.
> > So each manager just reimplement the virtual method.
> >

> You misunderstand. I ask why each manager requires it's own file watcher
> class, when it's not needed. Handling these FS notifications can be done in a
> build manager specific way with just signals and slots , or by having the
> build manager implement an interface. Or even better, just have the build
> manager do its own thing with regard to file system watching.
>
> IMHO, after thinking about it more, this is not a problem that requires a
> platform based solution.

I object - partly. While I do agree that having a file watcher on each
manager or each project is not needed I think its good to have a
directory watcher in a central place so that the managers are not
required to re-invent the wheel here. I don't have a patch at hand, but
I'm thinking of something like a QFSWatcher inside the projectcontroller
and the controller sends out signals for new or removed files (or calls
the manager slots directly).

Bridge ahead.  Pay troll.