project tree watcher interface plan

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Mon Jun 4 18:23:33 UTC 2007

On Jun 4, 2007, at 9:43 AM, dukju ahn wrote:

> Apart from the general wrapper around QFileSystemWatcher, what
> I want to discuss here is specific project tree watcher which
> targets project managers.
>
> Although we can use the general wrapper discussed, I think that
> using general wrapper for project managers is duplication of memory
> usages. The key to project manager tree watcher is that it should
> stores
> Project**Items for each watched path. And it can compare difference
> using that project**items.
>
> So my plan is that the "general" wrapper around QFSWachter will not
> be used for projecttreewatcher.
>
> Also, rather than emitting signal, my plan is that we have base class
> named "projecttreewatcher", and provides virtual interfaces, because
> we can provide some default implementations. Especially,
> directoryCreated() and deleted() implementation would be common
> among the project managers, since makefile parsing event will be
> taken place in fileCreated() deleted() modified() method..
>
> Any objection?. I expect as before.

Why does each build manager need its own file system watcher?

IMHO, We should have one file watcher for each project. This could be
provided by the shell. The file watcher passes signals or send events
(i think i'd prefer events here) indicating what has happened on the
file system. The build manager then takes that information and does
whatever it wants/needs to do with it.
--
Matt