REMINDER: Final review of VCS interfaces

Robert Gruber R.Gruber at gmx.net
Fri Jun 1 15:58:36 UTC 2007

On Sun, 27 May 2007 11:48:22 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>> I'm still not sure about returning VcsJob anyways. For example in cvs
>> plugin I'm using my own CvsJob class which is derived from KJob and therefore
>> already provides all that stuff from VcsJob. So why don't we just return a
>> KJob pointer? Or maybe derive VcsJob from KJob, which will make the start
>> and cancel slots and the signals needless as they are already provided by
>> KJob.
>
> Because KJob doesn't provide an API that is usable. VcsJob should either
> be a pure interface which you inherit from additionally to KJob or it
> should be a KJob subclass. I'm not sure which approach is better, didn't
> really look into that yet (but I'm guessing the second one)

Deriving CvsJob from both our VcsJob interface-class and KJob isn't possible.

You cannot inherit from two QObject subclasses:
[ 35%] Generating cvsjob.moc
/home/kdedev/src/kdevelop/lib/plugins/vcs/cvs/cvsjob.h:87: Warning: Class CvsJob inherits from two QObject subclasses VcsJob and KJob. This is not supported!

So I also vote for deriving VcsJob from KJob.

Robert