How does parsing and duchainbuilding work?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Jul 25 22:32:07 UTC 2007

Hi,

maybe one of our C++ guys has already explained this, but I'm currently
missing information on what exactly happens (in which order) when a file
is parsed. I'd like to understand (without having to read all the stuff
in the C++ support):

What happens after the parsing itself is done?
How does the editorintegrator fit into the picture - I first thought its
a singleton, but its not, so where does it get created (or better: Where
is a Contextbuilder created)?

I think this is pretty vital information to get from a plain parser to a
language support plugin. I mean the "duchain-building" part is pretty
clear, an AST visitor that walks the AST and creates duchain-objects
during that. But how is the building triggered? What classes are needed
to build it?

Your business will assume vast proportions.