Local Project File [Re: Extending the IProjectFileManager interface]

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Sun Jul 8 16:22:22 UTC 2007

On Sunday, 8. July 2007, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Jul 6, 2007, at 10:17 AM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > That said, I think "performance" would be the only reason I'd want to
> > keep the project files (really just the pcs) local in this instance.
>
> I think you missed the point. Nobody is questioning whether or not to
> support remote projects. I wanted a use case for where a .kdev4 file
> for the project would not need to be kept with the project itself.

I could imagine cases where your team doesn't use KDevelop but you do.
Let's say I'm in a group of three students, doing an ncurses-based pseudo
window manager for a university course, and I'm the only one using KDevelop.
Or my company is doing a career platform with Drupal/PHP, and my colleagues
prefer to use Eclipse-PHP or some other source code editor for development.

Of course, if there is a version control system available, you'd just not
check in the .kdev4 file. But in case there's only an FTP server (evil) or
mailing snapshots around (ultimately evil), you might prefer not having the
project file in the project directory, as it makes for unnecessary cruft for
the other team members, and you would need to remove it from the directory
before uploading it.

Might not be the best of all use cases, but this is what I could imagine.