2 Questions for Teamwork

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Wed Jul 4 18:46:12 UTC 2007

Am Mittwoch, 4. Juli 2007 20:25:55 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> Why can't you use project/.kdev4 on a per-project base? There was an
> agreement that needing a workspace is not a good idea, because people
> are bound to have their projects inside the workspace to use them. I
> find this the most problematic part of Eclipse' project handling.
> This leads developers to store settings in the workspace, which in turn
> leads to problems when having to move to a new workspace, which in turn
> is needed on each minor version upgrade for eclipse.
>
> Andreas

You're right, I really don't like the workspace-thing in eclipse.

But when it's about teamwork, there are some unclear things: In which
project-folder to store a patch/file that you receive? In which
project-folder to store the message-history of chatting with a specific user?
Where to start when resolving relative file-names?  etc. etc.

Until those questions are answered and the result implemented, we can allow
the user to choose a folder that he wants to teamwork on(the
teamwork-workspace folder). That could either be a project-folder(as it in
the beginning was thought to be, the user could right-click the project and
say "Start teamwork") or for example the directory on disk that contains
kdelibs, kdevplatform, kdevelop, etc. so you could teamwork across all of
them at a time.

We can think about making that more elegant once the more basic
integration-problems are solved.

It's not like the user has to configure a workspace, but instead he will have
an implicit teamwork-workspace that is used when he says "teamwork on this
project".

greetings, David