Future of teamwork plugin

mchouinard mchouinard at mcrd.ath.cx
Wed Jul 4 02:21:50 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 03 July 2007 21:10:06 Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Jul 3, 2007, at 4:11 PM, mchouinard wrote:

> >> stable != not crashing, but I think you're aware of that.

> >> It is dead code and I think one of the issues we wanted to avoid in
> >> KDevelop4 is carrying dead code around. What is so bad about
> >> moving the
> >> plugin to a (quite popular) place in playground?

> >> Its not in a working state right now, except on your and my
> >> system. That
> >> is it doesn't compile against boost 1.33.1. Its also in a non-working
> >> state on at least 1 platform other than linux and yes IMHO that
> >> counts
> >> wether KDE4/win32 happens for 4.0 or for 4.1.

> >> Uhm, thats wrong. Nobody will maintain it in its current state except
> >> you and I doubt it really matters for you where it lives. If you care
> >> enough about it and have the time you can fix it inside the
> >> platform as
> >> well as outside of it.

> >> Come on, just because I told you that your email address in copyright
> >> statements won't work? Are you serious? Its not about wether krazy
> >> points out 1, 10 or 100 issues on the teamwork plugin (currently
> >> there
> >> only false positives there), its about complex code that is going
> >> to be
> >> unmaintained for the upcoming months. Obviously nobody showing
> >> interest in maintaining the code due to its complexity. IMHO this
> >> dis-qualifies the teamwork code to be a plugin in the base module for
> >> KDevelop and Quanta. And on top of that, you never raised a
> >> discussion
> >> about including teamwork plugin in KDevelop (the move to the platform
> >> was natural as it is a general purpose plugin) and I'm not the
> >> only one
> >> who was confused by that.

> >> Removing teamwork will not reduce the krazy count. I already fixed
> >> most
> >> of the issues and what I saw along the way does really scare me,
> >> And I'm
> >> not even close to be as picky as kdelibs developers (see the
> >> "flamewars"
> >> with Matthew Whoelke, Thomas Zander and others on kde-core-devel).
> >> Right, its a plugin that doesn't need to keep BC, but it should
> >> keep at
> >> least a certain level of code-quality, which IMHO it does not at the
> >> moment.
> >>
> >> Andreas
> >
> > I must admit I looked at some of the code because a few months ago
> > I needed something like teamwork should do. so my idea was to take
> > part of
> > this and port it to kdev3 or another editor ... but this code
> > scared me so
> > much that we decided to simply cut and paste the editor windows in
> > a) IRC
> > (private stuff), b) emails or c) IM ... it worked but was a pain ...
> >
> > the only future I can see for this plugin is a rewrite ...
> > I don't know about it but maybe also a redesign ...

> [...]
I understand those concept, I might not use them but the point was like I say
in a later email is when you have to spend more than 15 to 30 minutes (and
this is way too much time) to understand what a method does, it mean from a
maintenance point of view that there is something wrong, that's all ...
it's ok with me if david plan to be around for 5 years to support and
maintaint this code ;)
Mathieu

--
Mal: "Kaylee's been missing you something fierce."