KDev4 SDK Single or Multiple Projects?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Jan 30 10:12:22 UTC 2007

On 29.01.07 17:03:40, Nick Savoiu wrote:
> --- Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> > this is an RFC about how the KDevelop4 SDK (whatever
> > the name will be at
> > the end ;) should handle multiple projects.
> >
> > Option 1:
> >
> > One project per Application instance
> >
> > Option 2:
> >
> > Multiple projects per App instance
>
> Isn't #2 too much work for too little benefit?

Well, I don't think so, except for a decent Ui its not that hard to have
a list of open projects instead of a pointer to 1.

> What would the UI look like?

Thats what we need to think about. The "straight forward" solution would
be to extend our project model and have a new item for the projects
themselves. Then our existing tree-view onto that model would just show
the open projects as top-level items. I'm not sure this is the best Ui
idea, but I don't have a better at hand. A separate listview with the
projects that changes the content of the project manager wouldn't be of
much benefit as you'd still only see 1 project at a time.

> Separate main windows?

Uhm, we're going multi-mainwindow anyway. Thats the default mode for our
"Perspective" Ui, i.e. each new Area (aka Perspective in Eclipse) opens
up a new main window.

As for the project stuff, having 1 project in 1 mainwindow would become
a real pain with more than 2 I think, so no thats not a good Ui idea.

Your supervisor is thinking about you.