KDev4 SDK Single or Multiple Projects?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Jan 30 00:04:50 UTC 2007

Hi,

this is an RFC about how the KDevelop4 SDK (whatever the name will be at
the end ;) should handle multiple projects.

Option 1:

One project per Application instance, this is what is currently
implemented, the projectcontroller opens/closes a project and makes sure
all plugins are loaded properly

Option 2:

Multiple projects per App instance, this would need a major change in
the project controller and it would also need a Ui element to display
the list of projects

The benefit of 2 would be that people don't need two instances of the
app when working on related projects. Even if opening a project only
takes a few seconds (which I doubt if plugins get unloaded/loaded) to
open its still annoying to close a project just to make a small
adjustment in another one.

Of course we'd then need some Ui for 2, either by putting the projects
all in our project manager, or by providing a list of them in a separate
view.

I'd like to get feedback from the Quanta folks, do you need
multiple-projects/app instance support? Would it be just a feature or
something that users really need?

Any comments welcome.

You have many friends and very few living enemies.