The name of this project is KDevelop

Roberto Raggi roberto at kdevelop.org
Sun Jan 21 17:11:24 UTC 2007

Hi Jakob,

Quoting Jakob Petsovits <jpetso at gmx.at>:

> On Sunday, 21. January 2007 17:31, Roberto Raggi wrote:
>> In a few weeks I will be an *active* Open Source developer (again).
>> It's just too bad I disagree to much with you guys :-) I will take a
>> look at Alexander branch in the next few weeks. I hope he (and the
>> other developers) will understand the value of the name KDevelop, but
>> if nothing will change (e.g. KDevelop public api using the Koncrete
>> namespace, or our library with 202 files, ...) then I will start the
>> fork. Feel free to send me an email if you are interested or if you
>> want to join this new(possible?) fork.
>
> My opinion is that the code is what's important. You've got lot's of
> ideas how
I understand that. I have also asked a change of direction there.
Alexander started the branch because it was pretty clear that there was
no way to work and fix a library with 202 files.

> I'm very opposed to the idea of splitting our work forces over a
> naming issue.
> I've got the impression that changing Koncrete back to KDevelop is far more
> important to you than keeping the name is for Matt or Alexander. ("It's just
> a fucking name, right?") Working on KDevelop 4 _together_ will get us further
> than having a fork.
We will see.

> Thus, I suggest to rename Koncrete back to KDevelop Platform, namespace the
> lib/ classes with KDevPlatform:: and make one KDevelop 4 that rocks, instead
> of two different KDevelops that are merely sufficient.
Do you really need to use a namespace? I mean it's that a doctor asked
us to use namespaces otherwise we are going to die. I have nothing
against namespaces, but in C++ they are just not that useful.

I agree, namespaces are important for plug-ins to avoid name conflicts,
but are they useful for our public API too? I mean I expect to have ~20
classes there. Can't you just use the prefix "KDev" for 20 classes?
pretty much like the prefix "Q" in Qt.

ciao robe