interfaces / implementations separation (was Let's discuss KDevelop4 interfaces and shell)

Alexander Dymo dymo at ukrpost.ua
Fri Jan 19 22:52:07 UTC 2007

On Friday 19 January 2007 20:47, Matt Rogers wrote:
> By old, I assume you mean post 4.0 plugins. I don't think we could load
> KDev 3.x plugins in KDev 4 even if we wanted to.
Sure. I didn't have 3.x plugins in mind.

> A layman's definition of BC means that we can add and deprecated, but we
> can't change or remove existing functions.
But you can't add virtual functions IIRC. And this is quite serious
restriction for classes that combine interface with its implementation.
Separation of interfaces vs implementation gives us additional freedom.

> I think we need to maintain BC. Maintaining BC is not that hard. We've done
> it pretty well for the KDE 3 series for quite awhile. Yes, there have been
> some mess ups but for the most part, it's been quite successful.

Successful? In KDevelop 3? I don't think so providing that KDevelop plugin
version has been constantly increasing (indicating incompatibilities).