Crash with C++ code completion

David Nolden david.nolden at art-master.de
Fri Jan 19 14:22:18 UTC 2007

Am Donnerstag, 18. Januar 2007 20:57 schrieb Christian Schneider:
> Am Donnerstag, den 18.01.2007, 18:43 +0100 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > 2) Do you have the option turned on which looks in included header files
> > for code-completion? If so turn it off, thats barely usable in KDevelop3

That option is very usable, but it only helps with identifying the right type
among multiple with the same name, or with resolving imported namespaces, and
it harvests macros from those files, but it doesn't parse them if you mean
that(It also only works when the include-path was set in the options so the
headers can be located without support of the build-system).

The performance-overhead it created should have been minimized with my last
patch, a pity I commited it a bit too late to go into 3.4.

But back to the matter:
The sent output doesn't really help, because it contains no interesting
information. There's only one way for me to find out what's going on:
Please open languages/cpp/completiondebug.h and uncomment "#define
VERBOSE", "#define VERBOSEMAJOR" and "#define DEPTHBACKTRACE".
Then compile, run again, and kdevelop will produce useful output for me that
will show where all the time is spent.

Don't forget to comment them again afterwards, because this makes completion
extremely slow.

This is what should always be done when sending reports about problems in the
code-completion-behavior.

greetings, David