platform goals (was Let's discuss KDevelop4 interfaces and shell)

Alexander Dymo dymo at ukrpost.ua
Fri Jan 19 14:08:27 UTC 2007

> The platform is about providing an API that can be used to create IDEs,
> similar to the Eclipse SDK.

Let's elaborate a bit

KDevelop3 platform became:
- a set of interfaces accessible to all plugins to get access to the
  "core" stuff and have some control over what's happening in the IDE
- a shell with a mainwindow, plugin loader and project loader
- a set of utility classes
- a way for a plugin to provide more interfaces and get instances of other
  plugins to use their interfaces
- a way to say "in my application I need to load this and this plugin"
  (aka profiles)

So actually it was not an API, it was a basic IDE which you could extend
with plugins and customize with profiles. Optionally there was a possibility
to reimplement the shell and profiles mechanism but I never cared
about that.

I don't think my vision of KDevelop4 platform is any different from
my points above.