Let's discuss KDevelop4 interfaces and shell

Richard Dale richard_dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 19 10:30:38 UTC 2007

On Friday 19 January 2007 01:07, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Thursday 18 January 2007 5:35 pm, dymo at ukrpost.ua wrote:
> > Hi! I've started my work of Sublime UI integration and first looked at
> > kdev4 architecture and code in lib/ and src/. So I'd like to share some
> > thoughts about what I saw. This will be lengthy email, so prepare ;)
I haven't looked at the code for KDevelop4, and so I'm more concerned with
commenting on the design process rather than any code produced so far. I
would rather we stepped through the use cases for what we were trying to do
with KDevelop3, saying what was wrong and what was right and based the design
of KDevelop4 with reference to that. In my case I could comment on what I
tried to do with the ruby dev environment, what problems I had and what sort
of things I couldn't do at all. For instance, there are four sorts of ruby
projects; straight scripts, gui projects with qtruby, gui automake based kde
ruby (or cmake for kdevelop4) projects and finally rails projects. The
assumption with the kdevelop3 design was that they would all be the same, and
the problems with the recent release of kdevelop 3.4 were related to my hacks
to get round architectural problems.

I'm busy with other things, but if I could start working on Ruby support I
would still rather hold off. This is because of my experience with the
disasterous initial attempt to produce KDevelop2. I tried to get
java/objective-c support in there right from  the start, thinking that was
the best way to 'bake in' support for non-c++ languages. It was a waste of
time though, my stuff kept breaking as the app changed, and I had to keep
working on it just to stand still. In the end that project was scrapped as
KMDI was just too complicated to get working in conjunction with various
other over-ambitous developments. Bernd Gehrmann replaced it with gideon
which was stripped down to just the minimal plugin architecture to get
started, with no excess abstractions that would only be used in the future.

The KDevelop4 design process seems to be a bit too abstract. Someone decides
it is a better idea to move all the sources from lib and src into src,
because it will be a good idea in the future, when a 'platform' is created.
But we aren't yet sure exactly what a 'platform' is though, and so we can't
do it just yet. We seem to be ignoring any lessons from the past, and not
discussing use cases we already have, but just designing in a vacuum.

-- Richard