KDevelop holding on to large chunks of memory

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jan 18 00:08:06 UTC 2007

On 17.01.07 12:56:08, Nick Savoiu wrote:
> I have a large custom project with 1000's of .cpp/.h files. If I delete the .pcs file to force a recomputation of it then the KDevelop session baloons to large amount of memory and then hangs on to them until closed.
>
> For example, for my project
>
> 1. I delete the .pcs file
> 2. start KDevelop
> 3. load the project
> 4. wait till "Updating..." is done
> 5. check memory usage: 874MB
> 6. close KDevelop
> 7. start KDevelop
>
> 8. load the project
>
> 9. wait till "Updating..." is done
>
> 10. check memory usage: 160MB

Using top is not the right thing to do. Once a while back I ran kdevelop
in massif once with a .pcs once without, both times loading the
kdevelop sources as project. I'm not completely sure which file is with
the .pcs and which one is without, but I guess this can be read from the
output. I also don't have the link at hand about how to read the values.

Another way would be to run kdevelop through valgrinds memcheck or
cachegrind to find leaks.

Are you sure the back door is locked?