Make target settings are behavior incompatible

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Jan 6 15:55:19 UTC 2007

On 06.01.07 17:33:32, Andras Mantia wrote:
>  Since the changes in the make/run target handling, things got broken if
> you load an old project. The bugs I noticed:
> 1) on loading, the "Main Program" setting is unticked in the Run Options
> dialog, which means that now the "Execut Program" doesn't build and run
> the main program. This is behavioral incompatible, I'd suggest to use
> Main Program by default when loading old projects.

For Automake and QMake projects that is by purpose. The reason is that
those provide the main program via their active target and
building+executing that should work. Else the AM or QM is broken.

> 2) This is the more serious one. Until now the Executable (in Run
> options) was a relative path to the build directory (or Working
> Directory as it is called now). Now instead of that one, the Executable
> line is appended to the *source* directory, which is again not how it
> worked before and I consider to be plain wrong.

You can specify the Working directory in which the launch should be done
via the active target's option dialog.

> Furthermore the file dialog for the Executable line starts from my
> home directory instead of the Working Directory (or even the source
> dir).

The file dialog normally starts from the build directory of your
project. It uses the project managers buildDirectory() value, whatever
the project manager returns for that.

> As of now, I have to specify the full path to the exeuctable, which is
> incovenient and introduce another local specific setting for no good
> reason.

The reason is simply that what we had before was

a) confusing to new users and myself
b) didn't work properly with all project managers
c) spread the settings over different pages in the Ui
d) didn't work properly in the project manager it was designer for, i.e.
automake.

You will be surprised by a loud noise.