KDevelop4: better menu/toolbar/shortcut control

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Sat Jan 6 08:09:00 UTC 2007

So, I've built and run KDevelop4, and the first thing I notice is that
we seem to be at Kate's mercy again and if we don't do something
most of menus, toolbars and context menus will be full of Kate commands.

Let me go though the main toolbar, which is the most precious space.

1. It has "Cut", "Copy" and "Paste" commands. Do we expect that an IDE user
does not know the keyboard shortcuts for those?

2. It has "Undo"/"Redo" -- likewize, shortcuts exists.

3. It has "Enlarge Font/Shift font" -- which take extra space
because the labels are long. Do we need *this* in the main
toolbar. I'm sure I never changed the font, and it certainly
not so common operation.

4. "Print". Is this so common operation that it deserve a place on the toolbar?

5. "Save as" -- likewise.

6. "Save" -- well, it is a common operation, but "Ctrl-S" is the standard
shortcut for it since forever. Why waste toolbar space?

The situation with shortcuts is also bad. Just like in KDE3, Kate grabs F9, F10 and F11.
And in KDevelop, I want those for debugger.

So, I guess this post boils down to:

1. Any existing mechanism to kill actions/shortcuts contributed but KParts?
2. If no, anybody objects if I implement something?
3. If no, maybe anybody has some great ideas right away?

- Volodya