KDE/kdevelop/languages/cpp/debugger

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Sat Dec 15 16:47:52 UTC 2007

On Saturday 15 December 2007 19:33:45 Matt Rogers wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2007, at 10:23 AM, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> >> Sorry, but we cannot require CVS HEAD of gdb for KDevelop 4. We need
> >> to at least support the last released version. As I told Hamish, we
> >> don't know when gdb 6.8 is being released and we don't know when
> >> KDevelop 4 is being released, so we can't assume that a new GDB will
> >> come before KDevelop 4.
> >
> > gdb 6.8 is likely to be release in half-a-year. Do you see it likely
> > that KDevelop4 will be ready in this timeframe?
> >

> That depends. Right now, there's discussions on the release team list
> to release KDE 4.1 by the end of April and I don't know if KDevelop 4
> will be ready by then.

Well, per:

	http://sourceware.org/gdb/schedule/

6.8 is supposed to come out in March.

> >> Please find some way to make this available only if somebody is using
> >> CVS HEAD of gdb, and fail gracefully if they have an older version.
> >
> > Well, "fail gracefully" can be either:
> >
> >    - breakpoints don't work at all
> >    - breakpoints in shared libraries don't work at all
> >
> > Does either sound good to you?
> >
> > - Volodya
>
> *shrug* I don't know.

I don't know either. I plan to make KDevelop query the list of MI features
that GDB provides, and with that it will be easy to make decisions about this
specific thing, but basically we can't get bug-free behaviour using old gdb.

- Volodya