Multiple windows saving

Esben Mose Hansen kde at mosehansen.dk
Thu Dec 13 10:04:57 UTC 2007

On Monday December 10 2007 14:25:34 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 10.12.07 14:09:20, Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> > On Monday December 10 2007 13:05:21 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > That doesn't apply the same way to KDevelop. There is no "mainwindow"
> > > in kdevelop4, there are multiple mainwindows. I do agree however that
> > > the standard Alt+F4 shortcut should just close the active mainwindow.
> > > Ctrl+Q however, should IMHO close the whole application.
> >
> > Ctrl-Q is right next to close tab (Ctrl-W) on many keyboard layouts,
> > including US. Is that really a good idea? IMHO, something used that
> > rarely doesn't really deserve a shortcut by default except the ALT-F Q
> > that is the menu accelerator.
>
> Huh? Closing an application is rarely used? Apart from that if you find
> that you hit it accidentally, then change the shortcut. Ctrl+Q is the
> default in KDE for quitting an application and the same in almost any
> other App I've seen so far on my desktop.

Huh-yourself :p I think this is rather the core of the problem. Having ctrl-Q
as close application makes sense for small, quickly started and nearly
stateless applications such as ksnapshot, but is plain annoying for very
stateful applications that have a lot of state and information, to which
KDevelop definitely belong.

My suggestion would still be to have the shortcut follow the desktop setting,
but leave it unassigned by default. I think I have seen this in some other
applications as well, though it might be the distribution's work. The fancy
solution would be to have a confirm dialog box with two extra options: "Quit
with asking ever again", and "Don't quit and disable shortcut in the future".
I'd wager that most people would select the second one. Just the start-up
time of KDevelop means that accidentially quitting is annoying, even if the
entire state is restored without fail. And the alternative shortcut Alt-F Q
is not exactly a huge deal to type :)

--
regards, Esben