VCS Interface classes

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 18:39:20 UTC 2007

On Monday 30 April 2007 04:07 am, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 30.04.07 09:34:40, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> > * repositoryRevision() vs. localRevision() - what is the difference here?
>
> Simple: repositoryRevision() will give you the revision of that file on
> the repository, local will give you the local revision (i.e. svn info
> foobar, for example). This is the same after update() or commit() but
> might be different in other times.

I'm very much a newbie to much of this (even using a VCS, except old
experience with Visual SourceSafe and some recent learnings and readings in
RCS, CVS, Subversion, and Darcs ), but I wanted to mention the way I
anticipate working with (i.e., using) a VCS.

I (hopefully) will work on some collaborative projects that have a (to me,
remote) repository.  But, I also plan to maintain my own local repository for
those same projects, especially while I am learning the codebase.

Thus I can play around with the code locally but be able to revert changes as
needed.  Then, when (if) I get to the point of actually making what I think
might be a useful improvement to the project, I'll submit my changes to the
remote repository.

I don't know whether repositoryRevision() vs. localRevision() is relevant to
this, but even if not, my question would be: will the KDE VCS interface
support such a mode of working?

Randy Kramer