KDE/kdevelop [POSSIBLY UNSAFE]

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Apr 27 07:18:19 UTC 2007

On 26.04.07 22:36:13, Matt Rogers wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2007, at 11:48 AM, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>
> > On 23.04.07 17:49:39, David Nolden wrote:
> >> boost-serialization -- is used for the whole messaging system, is
> >> far superior
> >> to qt's serialization-stuff, so it cannot be replaced. The only
> >> problem, that
> >> still has to be worked on, is that it creates very big executables
> >> when
> >> compiled in debug-mode.
> >
> > Wow, 15 Meg is really big (that is libnetwork as static lib).
> >
> > Is the slow compilation of the actual plugin files related to this big
> > library? Those files seem to compile much slower than any other
> > files in
> > kdevelop/trunk that use Qt/KDE code.
> >
> > Also I just did a wc -l on the headers/cpp files: 38000 lines, that
> > is a
> > really huge component. Even if I don't count the network and
> > dynamictext
> > libs its still 18000 lines.
>
> I guarantee you that CMake support will approach 30+ thousand lines
> of code, so this is not all that big.

Well, but for cmake we have somebody who watches the code in the next
months. For teamwork this is not the case as David said he won't be
able to work on teamwork once SoC started.

And this code is not really among the simple ones, its using advanced
template stuff heavily. You may be familiar with that, but I know that
most of our developers are not. Or at least thats the impression I got
when I showed them the patch for removing the necessity of 2 macros for
using our extension interfaces that David has come up with.

Beauty and harmony are as necessary to you as the very breath of life.