Introduction ...

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Apr 25 16:53:33 UTC 2007

On 24.04.07 23:06:09, Sandro Andrade wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to present myself and expose my desire to contribute to
> KDevelop project.
>
> My name is Sandro Andrade and I've been using FreeBSD and GNU/Linux since
> 1997 both as user and developer, with special interest in development using
> the standard C++ language.
> I've been working for the past eight years with object oriented-design and
> implementation using C++ and I am a quite appraiser and full-time user of
> KDevelop and Qt technologies. Qt3 and KDevelop have been my major
> development technologies in the last four years and recently I join a
> research project that relies entirely on Qt4.
>
> As part of my master dissertation, I've been designing and developing a
> reusable component-based platform for industrial data acquisition based on
> CORBA Component Model (CCM), the CIAO (Component-Integrated ACE ORB)
> middleware (
> http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/TAO.html<http://www.cs.wustl.edu/%7Eschmidt/TAO.html>),
> and Qt3. Our project, called ARCOS ( http://arcos.sf.net), encompass a OMG
> DAIS (Data Acquisition from Industrial Systems) Standard implementation and
> qt3-based client applications for industrial supervision.
>
> I hope to become an effective KDevelop contributor and I would be grateful
> for some initial guidelines. I have successfully compiled the last snapshot
> for KDE 4.

Hey, the plugins/teamwork code is pretty new and surely not occupied by
anybody. Its also rather large and uses every C++ feature you can think
of (thats what I've been told). So if you have a good knowledge of C++
including advanced templates and maybe you know boost, then that plugin
is a great starting point.

For starters the include's need to be worked over, duplicates removed
(like a .cpp including foobar.h and bar.h and foobar.h includes bar.h
too), includes should be moved from .h to .cpp as far as possible. Also
I saw a few #include's in the middle of .cpp files, that needs to be
changed too.

Then it would be cool to look into the libdiff2,network and dynamictext
libraries and see which of the classes and functions are used by the
teamwork plugin and which are internal to those libraries. Those that
form the public API need to use a proper _EXPORT macro so we can make
the libs shared libs.

I also think it could be beneficial to split up some of the larger
header files and eventually rename all files to not have any underscore.

Thats all that came to my mind about the plugin, I know some of these
things are tedious (like the include cleanup), but they also allow you
to get to know the code in the plugin.

Andreas

PS: Of course I don't want to push you into working on that plugin, but
at least there's a "plan" of what needs to be done to it...

--
Your present plans will be successful.