[KDev3.4] BlockingKProcess freezes GUI

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Apr 18 19:15:00 UTC 2007

On 18.04.07 15:03:09, dukju ahn wrote:
> On the cpp project loading,  BlockingKProcess is called
> on QString getVerboseGccIncludePath(bool *ok) at
> setuphelper.cpp
>
> If I understand it correctly the GUI should not be blocked
> while external process is being run. However, my GUI
> blocks at BlockingKProcess::enter_loop().

Uhm, BlockingKProcess is there to do exactly that: block the apps
execution until the external process is done. This works pretty well for
me here and is sometimes important because KProcess' BlockingMode
doesn't always work (see the archives of last year for a lengthy
discussion about this when I tried to use it in QMake Manager).

If BlockingKProcess blocks for longer than the process run then you've
found a bug.

I've recently seen another bug: Running BlockingKProcess with
KProces::StdErr and NotifyOnExit I don't get any output from the
stdErr() function. It only works when using combined stdout/stderr and
fetching the output via stdOut().

Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone.