[RFC] Workingstyle of different VCS systems

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 12 21:43:29 UTC 2007

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 12.04.07 14:31:49, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Andras Mantia wrote:
>>> On Thursday 05 April 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>> I just realized a potential issue; do we have a plan for how to go about
>> splitting an interface without breaking the API/ABI if that should be
>> needed? E.g. if we have an interface that provides foo and bar, and
>> later want to implement a back-end for a VCS that only provides bar,
>> what happens?
>
> Well, without much thinking I'd say: create 2 new interfaces. This of
> course won't work for the main interface, but all optional should work.

Well, yes. The question is can you do something like go back and change
the interface that provides both to being a class which implements both
the new interfaces? Otherwise now you have two problems. First, you have
three interfaces where A+B provides the same features as C. Second, you
have to update everything that provides C to provide A+B.

I'm not sure if there is any way around that, though, other than perhaps
do this preemptively (i.e. except for the basic interface, not make any
interface that provides more than one sort of function).

--
Matthew
GDRLaH - Grin, Duck, and Run Like a Hippo! :-)