[RFC] Workingstyle of different VCS systems

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke at tibco.com
Mon Apr 9 15:37:52 UTC 2007

(Odd, I'm not seeing this on gmane...)
Kuba Ober wrote:
> > Yes, thats exactly what I was thinking, i.e. you can't just click
> > on a file in the project which opens it and then edit it. You
> > first have to execute some vcs-action to do that.
>
> In case of aegis, that's exactly what has to happen! If the file is
> foo/bar/baz, then you'd execute the following commands
>
> aegis -copy -project foobar.2.1 -change 10 foo/bar/baz

I still don't think I want to do that. I would rather this happen when
you go to save a file, that is when you want to save, it does the copy,
and then a 'save as' over the newly-made copy. Otherwise just *looking*
at files clutters the change set, and I don't think that is desirable.

> > Offhand I would guess you can't, but IMO that's OK. I'd say let's
> > stick with a manual 'edit' action, at least for perforce (maybe
aegis
> > wants to do this differently).
>
> As long as it's one click away, maybe it'd be acceptable, otherwise
I'd
> hardly call it "integration" of aegis.

I think it would be two clicks, one to get the context menu, one to
click on 'edit' (or I guess you could make a tool button, so that would
be one click :-)). "Integration" is that you have this context menu
rather than having to leave KDevelop to go to a console or some other
GUI, also that file status shows up in the tree, etc. In aegis' case, I
guess integration would even be that files "up the chain" show up in the
project as if the directory structure was flat.

> I'd say a file should always be openable, but it should be shown as
> read-only. Then when you right click in katepart's window, or on the
> tab, or on the file list, there should be a context menu entry to
> "make editable". This will execute the relevant vcs thingo.

That's what I'm thinking of for the 'edit' action... so I guess we're in
agreement after all. Now, if this could be done automatically also when
you want to save, that would be slick. :-)

I forwarded the request for a pre-save trigger to kwrite-devel.

--
Matthew