Upgrade from KDevelop3.3

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Thu Apr 12 12:25:01 UTC 2007

On Thursday 12 April 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 12.04.07 14:33:57, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > On Thursday 12 April 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > it was just pointed out to me on IRC that when people upgrade
> > > from 3.3 to 3.4 they won't get the new qt4 widgets in the
> > > new-file-dialog. The reason is that the template-info.xml file is
> > > copied to $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kdevfilecreate.
> >
> > Well, the first question is why was this copied there?
>
> I guess because its installed into share/apps/kdevfilecreate.xml. I
> don't know much about the KDE standard dirs behaviour and when files
> are copied to the users kde-home.

The "standard" behavior when you ask for a resource is to give the local
one, if it exists. AFAIK the only cases when something are acopied
automatically are:
- the application's rc file (kdeveloprc), if some configuration option
is modified
- the application's XMLGUI file (kdevelopui.rc) if the UI is modified,
ie. there are some icons added/removed to toolbars

For the rest it is up to the application itself to copy the file to the
local directory if it wants. I have no idea when kdevfilecreate.xml is
modified and copied to the local dir.

> > Add a version number to the file, and solve the problem for 3.4.1.
> > ;) Really, I don't see other solution.
>
> Yeah, for filecreate that should work, the main question is how do we
> do this for other stuff. Also the same applies to the templates
> themselves and we can't version them.

What might be copied to the user directory, should have a version
assigned, otherwise you will face this problem. Why the templates
cannot get a version number?

Andras