[RFC] Workingstyle of different VCS systems

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 10 22:57:10 UTC 2007

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 10.04.07 09:39:58, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> What happens in svn when a merge fails?
>
> You get a file wich is in a conflict state and cannot be committed as it
> is (until you do svn resolved). [snip]

I meant when the attempt to patch *fails*, i.e. cannot determine what to
patch (e.g. because I did something stupid like 'merge foo.c#4 foo.c#5
bar.c'). Although I imagine perforce would choke similarly. Mainly I'm
just curious. :-)

>> Well, perforce doesn't *require* you to do the resolve right away, but I
>> can't think of any use case where you would want to do something after
>> the integrate but before the resolve.
>
> Hmm, given that we will have "resolve" action anyway (as conflicts in
> svn can happen on normal updates), I guess we can as well let the merge
> be without the resolve. The backend can then update the state properly,
> i.e. in perforce all files are marked as conflict or "needs resolve" and
> the user can then select all files or specific ones to resolve...

The only reason I'm worried about that is it prevents an automated
merge() because user intervention will *always* be required. Maybe
merge() should take some QFlags, one of which says we should force an
attempt to do automatic merges (this would be default)? Hmm, but then
how to implement that in a shared UI?

--
Matthew
GDRLaH - Grin, Duck, and Run Like a Hippo! :-)