[RFC] Workingstyle of different VCS systems

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Apr 9 22:21:12 UTC 2007

On 09.04.07 16:35:17, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 09.04.07 10:54:11, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> >> This brings up a wrinkle... we need to be careful how we define a
> >> "checkout scope"... in svn it is just a path; in perforce it is a client
> >> view (i.e. a mapping consisting of several path pairs with an optional
> >> exclude flag). Tagging needs to take a "checkout scope" as input.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean, but I suppose we can talk about that better
> > once we have a few interface definitions. I'll try to create at least
> > the basic one and one for repository stuff tonight.
>
> I guess the simple explanation is that the "what part of the repo should
> I operate on" argument for checkout() and branch() needs to be some sort
> of class that is defined by the VCS plug-in, as opposed to a simple URL.
> This is because in perforce you do not check out a URL, you check out a
> client spec. Actually this is true for svn too; you don't check out a
> URL, you check out a URL /and/ a flag saying if it is recursive or not.

Actually thats wrong for SVN, you checkout a URL, the flag is just an
additional parameter.

We can't let the plugin tell us which parameters it wants. We need to
find a common parameter format. So what exactly does perforce need for a
checkout or branch? A list of files (can we use a Url for the elements?)

Your mode of life will be changed for the better because of good news soon.