[RFC] Workingstyle of different VCS systems

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Apr 5 13:06:04 UTC 2007

Hi,

before I propose an update on the VCS interface I'd like to get people's
experience with VCS systems. I have myself good experience with CVS and
SVN but those two are pretty similar. I also used ClearCase about 3
years ago but don't recall the exact details.

So currently we're aiming for something like this:

add - adds a resource to the VCS
remove - removes a resource from the VCS
checkout - fetch "something" from the VCS into a local dir
import - import a local dir into the VCS
state - get the state of a local file, currently possible state flags
	are:
	Added, Uptodate, Modified, Conflict (between VCS-version and
	local version), Sticky (some CVS thing, no idea what it means),
	NeedsPatch (what does that mean?), NeedsCheckout, Directory,
	Deleted, Replaced
commit - let the VCS transfer local changes into the VCS
update - fetch latest changes from VCS into local dir
log - Show a complete history for a given local resource or VCS resource
diff - show a difference between local file and latest VCS version, or 2
       VCS versions
annotate - ==svn-blame, AFAIK, i.e. show which line of a file was
           modified by whom in which version
repositoryVersion - gives the latest version in the repository
localVersion - gives the version of the local file
merge - merges differences between 2 sources into the local file
addignores - set information which files should be ignored by the VCS
revert - reverts local changes
cleanup - fix inconsistencies with the local checkout
copy - copy a file with VCS methods (history is kept)
move - move/rename a file with VCS methods (history is kept)
info - Show some info of the local checkout
mkdir - create a new directory in the local checkout and add it to the
        VCS
resolve - mark a conflicted file as resolved
lock/unlock - lock a file or VCS resource
special - this should be available so clients may execute special
          actions for a specific VCS system

Do other VCS systems need other actions? Is there stuff that cannot be
mapped to other VCS systems?

Good news.  Ten weeks from Friday will be a pretty good day.