[KDev4] vcs integration - KUrl of a file is not enough to know the file's project!

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Apr 4 19:21:02 UTC 2007

On 04.04.07 14:50:45, Kuba Ober wrote:
> On Friday 30 March 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 30.03.07 17:01:32, Kuba Ober wrote:
> > > The problem is that in this case p->isProjectFile can be true for several
> > > projects in Aegis. The reason is that all baseline files are shared, and
> > > they don't exist in project's change directory. They typically sit on an
> > > nfs or samba mount.
> >
> > Why is that a problem? If the file exists and is part of your project
> > than its absolutely correct for isProjectFile to return true and thus a
> > project item is returned for that file.
> >
> > If OTOH you want something like project == changeset,
>
> Is there any other way? In my aegis projects, when I create a new change, the
> kdevelop project files are automatically copied into the change so that I can
> modify the project, and are removed upon integration if nothing was changed
> (aegis remove -unchanged).

Well, the project file of kdevelop4 projects won't contain much
information. Currently all that is in such a file is the name of the
projectmanagement plugin. Anything else goes into a hidden file (like
path to qmake, cmake, builddir for cmake and so on)

> > then your
> > projectmanager needs to return false when given a url that is not part
> > of the changeset, but I thought you wanted it the other way around.
>
> I thought that you can have more than one project open at a given time. In
> such a case, this won't work, i.e. if a file is open, you'll never know which
> of many projects it is part of.

Hmm, I start to think your aegis is not easily representable with
kdevelop4 projects.

> Say, I have a file that I opened from the file tree of project 1. Suppose I
> want to save it - I can't, it's not copied into the change, so a window
> should pop up saying "this file is not part of the change, do you want to
> copy it into the change?" - if I answer yes, then the system will need to
> know what project it was a part of.

I don't think we intercept save at the moment in that regard. That is
part of the editor. So you wouldn't have a possibility to do this copy.

I have no idea how we could change projectmanagement and vcs interface
so that it fits aegis, without making the interfaces hard to use for
"normal" projects.

Beware of a tall blond man with one black shoe.