Getting the current active project

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Apr 3 10:10:44 UTC 2007

On 02.04.07 18:27:36, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> >> or, better
> >> yet, have a way to locally cache frequently-accessed files and/or files
> >> that can't be remote (i.e. Andreas' point again) and push them out
> >> either asynchronously in the background, and/or on project close.
> >
> > Well, writing the configuration files back only on project closing is
> > one of the easiest and fastest solutions.
> >
> > While writing back on configuration change seems "cooler", it may be a
> > problem, think of slow-links and also the IProject carries its own
> > KSharedConfig::Ptr to a local cache which would need to be re-fetched
> > from remote every time its accessed. The problem here is that there's no
> > easy notification possible between KConfigSkeleton (which would do the
> > reading/writing of configuration for the dialogs) and IProject.
> > Basically because they don't know each other and there's no 3rd object
> > that knows both.
>
> My thought was that you "own" your project, any changes made from
> elsewhere just get clobbered. Especially since the general consensus
> seems to be that projects should not be shared anyway. :-)

Well, I wasn't suggesting that 2 people work with the same remote
project at once. I won't implement that, because then we'd more or less
have to invent our own vcs-system. But see the answer to Andras,
re-parsing can be done from the local cache (which needs to be in sync
with the remote files of course), it may still slow down kdevelop, not
sure how fast KConfig is on re-parsing.

> My main thought with the async (in which case slowness wouldn't matter)
> was more to push changes out in case something catastrophic (like, say,
> a power failure) happened to your local machine, so that less would be
> lost. But it was just an idea, not something I think is "necessary" by
> any means. :-)

Well, if your PC looses power while just before or while the upload
happens you're screwed with any approach I can think of.

You are sick, twisted and perverted.  I like that in a person.