Getting the current active project

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Mon Apr 2 16:14:10 UTC 2007

On Saturday 31 March 2007 08:39, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 31.03.07 16:05:33, Andras Mantia wrote:

> > > I don't think we support remote projects, atm.
> >
> > We should. This was discussed before and we all agreed that we should
> > make the platform use only KUrl's and thus support remote projects.
>
> Hmm, currently we don't because KConfig doesn't support reading from
> remote urls. I have currently no idea how we could make this work,
> except by copying the project file to the remote location after project
> closing.

Download the project file to the KDE temporary storage and read it from there.
This was why KIO was used to load the project file. If KIO is not used
anymore, that change needs to be reverted.

> > > What happens if your user actions or the other stuff doesn't get a
> > > project?
> >
> > It will limit the user, so he cannot run scripts that work on the active
> > project, only on the active document (and probably the folder where the
> > document lies).
>
> I meant what if currentProject() returns 0 instead of a valid IProject*.
>
> > > For example currently if the first project is opened the
> > > currentProject is not yet set, its connected to the currentChanged
> > > signal of the treeview. Thus currentProject() would return a
> > > 0-pointer. While this can be "worked around" by automatically
> > > activating the first opened project, this won't work for closing
> > > projects.
> >
> > You mean what will happen if no project is opened? That's not a problem,
> > as in that case the path given to the script will be the path of the
> > active document. This workes (and worked) fine.
>
> Yeah, but what happens if the script uses your proposed %projectbase and
> projectbase is suddenly empty? I guess I have to look into Quanta's code
> to properly understand that.
>
> > > Then again there's no "current item" in the treeview and I
> > > don't think its sane to just select the top-most project in the
> > > treeview...
> >
> > Sorry, what treeview is this?
>
> Uhm, the projectmanagerview (do we have another treeview in kdev4?), its
> visible only after opening a project.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm not fighting a war against bringing back
> currentProject, but I'd like to have some real good reasons to do so.
>
> Andreas

We need project wide actions for a specific project in our workspace (think
search and replace over the whole project). We need to bring back
currentProject.
--
Matt