KDE/kdevelop/languages/cpp/parser

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Thu Sep 28 23:22:08 UTC 2006

On Thursday 28 September 2006 11:57, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 September 2006 21:13, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 03:33:19PM +0000, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> > > SVN commit 589082 by dymo:
> > >
> > > Make parser and preprocessor a shared libraries and install it. They
> > > depend currently on kdevplatform lib but that's ok for now. I think
> > > they belong to the platform.
> >
> > language support plugins and the parsers required for those plugins are
> > not part of the platform and the parser and the preprocessor should not
> > be made shared libraries.
>
> Languages support plugins are not, but our parsers should be the part of
> the platform. I have this feeling after talking to several people here at
> akademy. We'd need to release them because people want to use them. An
> actually I'm about to use them too to write smoke bindings generator
> (Richard Dale thinks it's a good idea.
>
> > Please revert or continue the discussion on kdevelop-devel
>
> Actually, I think we have two options:
> - to release parsers as a part of kdevplatform
> - to release parsers separately in their own module
> Not releasing parsers at all doesn't seem a good idea for me recently.
> kdebindings and kdesdk packages could benefit from them (actually
> umbrello devels are waiting for them since ages).

If we keep adding things to the platform, it's going to end up huge. So,
releasing them separately seems like the best way to go to me. I guess this
means that the parsers themselves will need to not depend on any other kde
libraries. I don't know if this condition is satisfied for the C++ parser,
but I think it is for the others.
--
Matt