ideal UI mode

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Mon Sep 4 18:50:58 UTC 2006

On Monday 04 September 2006 13:14, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since Alex asked for it, here's my opinion:
>
> ideal mode rocks !
> If current Qt4.2 dock windows are not powerful enough, I'd suggest to ask
> on kde-core-devel whether they can be enhanced for 4.2 final so that they
> do everything needed for ideal mode.
> The Trolls explicitely encouraged us to do so, Simon Hausmann and Benjamin
> Meyer are currently the official Trolltech-KDE contact point.
>
> Btw. I really like(d) the original ideal mode where the sidebars can
> overlap the main widget and where they can close immedialetly after
> selecting something.
>
> Bye
> Alex

And off the top of my head, here's what I believe we would need in order to
implement the Ideal UI mode used in previous versions of KDevelop using only
Qt. Alexander Dymo may know more.

- Ability to customize how the tab widget is displayed for the dock widget
( may already be possible with the CSS stylesheets )
- Abililty to hide the dockwidgets when there is a tabbar there
- Ability to always display the tabbar even though there is only one
dockwidget
- Ability to have icons on the dockwidget tabs
- Ability to disable display of text on the dockwidget tabs

If we get none of these, then we would at least need access to the internal
QMainWindow layout in order us to be able to do the widget management
properly (so i've been told)
--
Matt