Where is the UI proposal from akademy?

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Tue Oct 10 16:27:11 UTC 2006

My attempt at describing the UI proposal:

1. We should allow multiple QMainWindows to be created by the user showing
different perspectives.  This would mean, for instance, that a MainWindow
could be on screen 1 showing the default perspective, while a second
MainWindow could be on screen 2 showing the debugging perspective and even a
third or fourth MainWindow with different perspectives could be shown on
screen 3 and 4.  Hamish with his huge monitors has asked for this.

2. Perspectives will just be a matter of using the QMainWindow API and calling
saveState() and restoreState() for various perspectives.  The user can
dock/undock and show/hide/arrange docks to his liking and 'Create
Perspective' by attaching the current arrangement to a shortcut and a name.
We believe this can all be done with QMainWindow API and, of course, we could
ship with some number of defined perspectives.

I don't think anything is too crazy or out of the ordinary to this point,
right??  Here is where we got a little inventive:

3.  Each plugin could, at the plugin author's discretion, choose to publish a
model (inherits QStandardItemModel) along with a view.  These models would be
shown in another window that Alexander is calling the 'Project Management
Window', but I would call it something else to not confuse it with the
project manager....

This window would be a custom view that displays the plugin models.  It would
be very much like the interface to Mac OS Finder with a 'drill down
view' (See http://www.kdedevelopers.org/blog/106)  Imagine the top-level
drill down containing the names of the plugin models:

Documents -->
Project Manager -->
Debugger -->
Code View -->
etc, etc

And then the second tier would be up to the models to display.  This was
inspired by XCode's _GIGANTIC_ 'Groups and Files' list where they seem to
have all the different 'plugins' listed and a treeview that drills down to
various items.  Well, we thought this is a good idea so that the user can
still have a perspective with all the various plugins listed and functional,
but without IDEAl mode.  And to make it even better and less cluttered than
XCode's _GIGANTIC_ list, we would use a Finder like drill down! :)

I think that is the basic ideas that we came up with.

Adam