Where is the UI proposal from akademy?

Alexander Dymo dymo at mk.ukrtelecom.ua
Tue Oct 10 15:52:54 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 06:04, Matt Rogers wrote:
> As I understand it from akademy, Adam and Alexander managed to hammer out a
> lot of the UI issues and thing so that we can have a kick-ass UI.
Well, actually plenty of people participated in KDevelop BoF where
UI discussion happened ;)

> I'm getting ready to start some major UI work soon. Is there a
> proposal/mockup/commit that can be presented and commented on? I'm quite
> interested to see what y'all have in mind.
I'll try to describe what we agreed upon.

Major points:
1) Ideal-like UI with only one main window shoud go.
2) We want separate set of windows for project management, file editing
and debugging (aka perspectives).
3) A lot of plugins that show their views should export models only and
we should show them in Finder-like interface.

Project Management Window:
This window collects all project related functionality in Finder-like
interface. Models from each plugin that export project-level or global-level
model are shown here.

The first view lists all the plugins. Second and third views show model
that plugin export. When you select an item in the view, several actions
may be activated. They are shown in the toolbar under the views.

For example, to create a file you select "File Creation" then "New Empty File"
then click on "Create" button that appears at the bottom.

You can try it with my prototype (ruby application, require ruby bindings
to Qt) or look at the screenshots
(project_window1.png, project_window2.png).
Note that not all view items in the prototype show the list of actions.

Code Editing Windows:
Basically we looked at Eclipse and found that its splitted-tab ideology
and file selector popups near the tabbars is what we want to see in our
code editing windows.
I'm including the Eclipse screenshot here: eclipse_code.png
Such window with editors should be a separate window.
Also we think that we should be able to detach any editor and create a new
code editor window.

Debugger Windows:
We liked the way Xcode debugger looks and works so we agreed we want
something similar.
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/XcodeUserGuide/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/index.html

IIRC we thought that code editing windows can have old Ideal-like toolviews
but their number will be greatly reduced because most of them are
in project window.

This was basically what we thought about the UI.
Please, anyone who was at the BoF, feel free to correct me or add
something I forgot.

Also let's have an IRC meeting today or tomorrow at, say between
18:00 and 20:00 UTC, to discuss these ideas.