Debugger error

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Tue Nov 28 18:07:03 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 19:39, Andras Mantia wrote:
> ... and another one. While steeping through the code:
> Debugger error
> Debugger reported the following error:
> Address requested for identifier "part" which is in register $rbp
>
> What? Even for a developer doesn't mean too much. Yeah, I know this
> comes from gdb, but why do they come with the MI interface only and
> are there so serious that there is a need for a dialog box for them?

To continue with the list of errors. ;-)
1)
Debugger error
Debugger reported the following error:
Can't take address of "this" which isn't an lvalue.

Got two one after the other just by selecting a frame from the stack.

2)
Debugger error
Debugger reported the following error:
No symbol "it" in current context.

After stepping (followed by and error of type 1). I think that in the
second case KDevelop should just treat the error (like removing it from
the treeview), but not inform the user as it doesn't mean anything to
him.

My biggest problem with the errors are that they require to press OK and
you just cannot do anything. If the error really  means that something
went terribly wrong, than we should find if KDevelop treats gdb in a
wrong way or gdb has a problem. If the errors are just for information,
like in case of 2 (and a google says that the "address requested" is
also not critical), it shouldn't be displayed at all, maybe only in the
gdb window for debugging purposes.

Andras