RFC: wrong highlights on 'docked' tabs

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Nov 13 20:06:50 UTC 2006

Because newui draws vertical tabs by drawing horizontal tabs and then
rotating them, the highlights on the tabs are incorrect. I understand
why this is done for the text, but is it not possible to draw a vertical
button? I suppose things would go horribly wrong if the button were
drawn normally but in a vertical orientation, and only the text was
drawn rotated?

The reason I am asking is because I am investigating adding 'hinting' to
newui's drawing code (Button::drawButton) that would enable a style that
knows about KDevelop's newui to alter its drawing to draw something more
tab-like rather than button-like (without interfering with other styles
that lack this 'special support'). But... I want to do it in a way such
that other applications with similar 'tab docks' could use the same
hinting. I am wondering if it is better to somehow clean this up so that
newui is doing less 'rotated drawing', or if the style should assume
that vertical tabs are drawn via rotation (in which case the style
should draw its highlighting "wrong").

Opinions?

(And I suppose I might as well ask the all-important question: what are
my chances of getting such hinting into KDevelop proper?)

--
Matthew
$ kill bill