2 problems with debugger

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Nov 6 07:55:14 UTC 2006

On 05.11.06 17:09:46, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Hi Vladimir,
>
> wanted to discuss 2 problems I still have with the debugger:
>
> 1. Startup of kdevelop inside kdevelop is really slow here and it seems
> it got sth. to do with how many breakpoints I have set and enabled. I
> tend to set breakpoints when I debug sth but never unset them, unless in
> a later debug session I stumble upon them. So I had like 20 breakpoints
> in the qmake manager set and it seems that kdevelop debugger takes ages
> to set them all.
>
> I also noted that a self-compiled gdb 6.5 is a bit faster than the
> debian packaged gdb 6.4.90 (which the maintainer claims to be nearly the
> same as 6.5)

This is for whoever finds this thread later on...

Ok, we found the problem to be really loading all those debug symbols
from /usr/lib/debug (see my other answer here). That brought me down
from >6 minutes to around 3 minutes for startup.

There's a set-command in gdb to set the directory to look for debug
symbols (set debug-file-directory) which can be put into a line in
languages/cpp/debugger/gdbcontroller.cpp:GDBController::start()

KDevelop3.4 will have a debugger option to set this...

You will overcome the attacks of jealous associates.