2 problems with debugger

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Nov 5 23:42:58 UTC 2006

On 05.11.06 23:02:11, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 05.11.06 23:23:06, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > On Sunday 05 November 2006 19:09, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > I'm not sure though how it comes to take 12 mins.
>
> Well, as I said its better with self-compiled gdb6.5, thus I also
> suspect the debian package to have a problem here (they have some extra
> patches and they compile with -O2 -g).

Well actually it would happen with gdb6.5 too. I sent a bugreport to
debian and got instant reply. gdb loads symbol files from
$PREFIX/lib/debug and as I have quite some -dbg packages installed
there are many such symbol files. This means even more "shared library
events"...

I can reproduce the same long load-time with self-compiled gdb 6.5 if I
copy the debug dir from /usr/lib/ into gdb6.5/lib

I also asked the gdb-maintainer wether there's a way to tell gdb to not
load all those symbol files, so maybe we could switch that off as I
don't think it makes sense to load those except for more verbose
backtraces on crashes..

You will win success in whatever calling you adopt.