how to improve cmake support in kdevelop/ kdevelop support in cmake

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun May 14 11:09:16 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Sunday 14 May 2006 12:44, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> On Sunday 14 May 2006 19:49, Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> > > It is not, but the goal is to provide native cmake support in kdevelop.
> > > enhancing cmake to improve whatever kdevelop support is provided via
> > > custom makefiles does not help us towards the goal of providing native
> > > cmake support in kdevelop.
> >
> > As it is now, cmake generates project files for "custom projects". This
> > way without enhancements we won't get optimal integration.
> > But there is nothing which hinders us to improve the kdevelop generator
> > in cmake and/or create a new project type in kdevelop so that they work
> > much better together.
> > (which still doesn't help with modifiyng the files)
>
> As an interim measure, supporting better cmake created .kdevelop files
> would be ok, as long as the effort is trivial in comparison to that needed
> to get full cmake support in kdevelop.

I think these are really two different tasks.

Creating as-good-as-possible build files for different build tools is the main
idea behind cmake. So creating really good ones for kdevelop fits naturally
into cmake and shouldn't be that hard. We just have to define a file format
and dump the data we need into this file in cmake.
With this enhancement every project with cmake files can be used very nicely
with kdevelop (just that these files still have to be handwritten).

A tool for editing these files can be seen as a completely independent
project. (maybe) ideally it could be written in plain Qt4, so it would be
available for all platforms. This one could provide a shared lib which offers
a widget, which IDE's (as kdevelop) can simply use.

Bye
Alex