how to improve cmake support in kdevelop/ kdevelop support in cmake

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sat May 13 20:52:57 UTC 2006

On Saturday 13 May 2006 23:43, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> find_package(JPEG)
>
> add_executable(kfoo ...)
>
> if (JPEG_FOUND)
>    target_link_libraries(kfoo ${JPEG_LIBRARIES})
> endif (JPEG_FOUND)
>
> -----------------------
>
> I don't see a way how to put this into a GUI.

I don't think this was ever supported for automake. ;-) But it can be
presented, like a property for the library, property which indicates a
condition when it should be used. So you have something like in the
dialog:
Target: kfoo (lineedit)

Sources: (list)
source1.cpp
source2.cpp

Libraries: (list)
lib1
lib2
 ${JPEG_LIBRARIES}

In the context menu of each "Libraries" entries you can edit the
properties for it, like:
Condition: JPEG_FOUND (lineedit)

To add find_package(JPEG) of course you may need to hand edit the cmake
file or create a new gui for finding applications (again, with automake
this wasn't possible either as that one worked with the Makefile.am and
not with configure.* files).

But as a first step it would be enough if from the gui you could:
- create targets
- add/remove/edit sources to a target
- add/remove/edit libraries to a target
- build/install a specific target or all the project
- the GUI should not remove anything handwritten to the CMakeList.txt
file. Here is where a good library from cmake would help.

Andras