code-completion, options

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Thu May 11 21:19:47 UTC 2006

I fixed the 2 mentioned issues..

> Also, the parameter tooltips seems to have disappeared altogether. At least
> I can't make them appear anymore (but they were just barely useful as it
> were).

These need a workover anyway, I didn't touch that feature at all until now and
maybe broke it somehow by the way. I'll look at it in time. :-)

> Not a problem, I can do that. I have some other changes I mean to do to the
> c++ options dialog anyway. Just tell me what you need.

Ok then, in general I'd need exactly what I've written plus a way to do
hard-coded namespace-aliases.(for example for STL to work I hard-coded the
alias "std=_GLIBCXX_STD" into the code because kdevelop does not seem to
correctly apply aliases while parsing). One text-line would be enough for
that.. since the function I use to insert new aliases takes a
semicolon-seperated list of assignments anyway.

> One option I would like (if it should be an option at all..) would be to
> not put entries to unaccessible methods in the code completion popup. Since
> Protected and private methods/members of other classes or private
> methods/members of base classes aren't accessible, it's very unlikely you
> want to complete them.

That's something that must be thought about.. since every function, even
private ones, is needed sometimes. :) Of course, better checking of which
items are visible in the current context should be done, but that's not
implemented yet. I don't know in which state I made the other patch, but in
my version The completion-list is sorted by the access-rights, so public
members/functions are at the top, then come protected, then private ones, and
protected/private members have a remark behind them stating that they are
private/protected, and in which class.

> I wasn't crazy about the methods names in bold, they ended up in smaller
> type than the non-bold text which made them harder to read. But I haven't
> looked yet on how you did it, so maybe it's just a problem with the font
> I'm using...

I did that because in my case, the font got noticably bigger when I bolded
it(and too big fonts are bad for the overview that the class-view should give
you), so I made it a bit smaller again. On my screen/font it looks good, but
I have a pretty high resolution.. maybe it would be better not to bold the
function-name, but rather give everything else a slightly lighter color.. hmm
to make the user choose would of course be too much :)

Later this evening I'll try the svn-stuff again. The problem is that I didn't
get any instructions.. I just once was asked which username I'd prefer and to
send my RSA-key(that's why I hope the account is open), so I'll somehow have
to find out how the whole stuff works. :)

greetings, David