CMake as a build system for KDevelop4

Alexander Dymo dymo at mk.ukrtelecom.ua
Sun Mar 19 01:30:12 UTC 2006

Hi!
Today CMake should be able to compile, install and test all compilable
KDevelop4 sources!

I encourage everybody working on KDevelop4 try CMake ;) It's cool :)
And I'd like to ask trunk committers to alter CMakeLists.txt files
among with Makefile.am's.
IMHO we might probably want to drop autotools completely now. Remaining issues
with CMake (look at the end of this mail) are not essential for KDevelop4
development and we can wait for them to be resolved ;)

Information
CMake download:
http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.3/cmake-2.3.4-20060317.tar.gz
http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.3/cmake-2.3.4-20060317-win32.exe

Docs:
http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDECMakeIntro
http://www.cmake.org/HTML/Documentation.html

====================
Instructions:

cd $builddir
cmake $flags $srcdir
make
make install

Flags for CMake:
installation directory:
-D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/dir
build tests
-D KDE4_BUILD_TESTS=1
debug and/or release compilations
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debug
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debugfull
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=release

Example:
cd kdevelop_build
cmake -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/gremlin/bin/kde4
-D KDE4_BUILD_TESTS=1 ../kdevelop

Running tests:
if you have tests built then run
make tests
or
ctest -V
The last command will give you output from QtTest.

CMake build status:
(common KDE problems)
- no doxygen
- no user documentation
- no translations

(KDevelop problems)
- kofficepart and chello_gba app templates do not compile
- no dependency between app template sources and resulting archives, make
clean && make required to build templates when source is changed